Laser cut boxes are pretty cool. They can be tricky to design however. “Maker” has taken a lot of the guesswork out of making boxes with a cool Inkscape extenstion. Its written in Python, so Anool challenged me to add t-slots so that the resulting boxes can be held together with screws instead of glue.
It took me a while to wrap my head around the whole extension business. It is not pretty, but I finally managed to cobble together the necessary parts to get this working.
- download code and unzip it into your Inkscape extensions directory. On my Ubuntu laptop that is /usr/share/inkscape/extensions/.
- Start or Restart Inkscape.
- Select T-Slot Box Maker from the Extensions->Laser Tools menu
- Insert your box measurements and screw measurements (so far only tested with 16mm M3 screws.
- Click “apply”
- Remove unwanted or conflicting t-slots with the associated hole
- Done! Good luck!