At some point, you may wish to re-program your ClockTHREEjr_v2 or maybe you are building a clock from scratch. This post will walk you through the steps.
- Download and install Arduino for your target platform. (More details can be found here.)
- Navigate to the Arduino download site: http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
- Download Arduino for your platform.
- Unzip the file to the directory of your choice. (We will refer to whatever directory you choose as <arduino_dir>). I use c:\arduino\ on Windows or /home/justin/arduino/ on Linux so that (for arduino 1.0 for instance) the path extracted executable is c:\arduino\arduino-1.0\arduino.exe on Windows or /home/justin/arduino/arduino-1.0/arduino on Linux.
- Download and install ClockTHREE source code
- Download the latest ClockTHREE library source code file from here: http://code.google.com/p/clockthree/downloads/list
- Unzip the library source code file in your home directory. I use “My Documents\sketechbook\” on windows and /home/justin/sketchbook/ on linux. We will refer to the directory you choose as <sketchbook>.
- IMPORTANT: Point Arduino to your newly extracted library files.
- Start arduino (look here if you have trouble with this step)
- Click File->Preferences to pull up the preferences menu.
- Leave “Use external editor” unchecked if you plan on using Arduino as your editor.
- Click the “Browse” button and navigate to your <sketchbook> directory from step 2.
- Click “OK”.
- Close and restart Arduino
- Click “File->Sketchbook->libraries”. If “ClockTHREE” is listed you’ve done well.
- Using a text editor, edit source code:
- On or about line 32 of <sketchbook>/libraries/ClockTHREE/examples/ClockTHREE_04/ClockTHREE_04.ino, comment out all but one of the following lines depending on language and hardware.
// #include "dutch_v1.h" // #include "english_v0.h" // #include "english_v2.h" #include "english_v3.h" // #include "french_v1.h" // #include "german_v1.h" // #include "german_v3.h" // #include "german_v5.h" // #include "hebrew_v1.h"
- Compile and upload
- Connect the FTDI cable to ClockTHREE (mind color labels) and to your computer.
- Click Tools->Boards->Duemilanove
- Select USB port Tools->Serial Port (this may take some trial and error if you have several devices connected).
- Compile and upload <sketchbook>/libraries/ClockTHREE/examples/ClockTHREE_04/ClockTHREE_04.ino.
Click the arrow button, second from the right.
- Congratulations! That is it. Now you can customize the code to your hearts content!